The street view helps you to explore world landmarks, see natural wonders, and step inside places such as museums, arenas, restaurants or small businesses. Photographers use 360-degree technology to take pictures for Google Maps.
It’s a useful option provided by a Google application. Each of us has used it at least once getting stuck in the locations we would like to visit. But we can apply it not only for entertainment. This feature may contribute to improving the user experience of website visitors. It can help in the following ways:
- Street view will help those who have difficulties with reading a Google Map to orient themselves. They can use the appearance of buildings and other objects for this purpose.
- Clients will be able to see places they are going to visit in advance.
- People will know what amenities look like and will find them easier.
- Pictures help to recapture the atmosphere of locations.
- Customers and visitors will be able to get inside buildings.
How to add
There are two options. The first one is to add a street view on the backend side.
- You’ll need to enable this function ticking its box in settings.
- After saving changes a photo of the place will appear on a Google Map.
- It will be displayed instead of a map. In the current version, it is possible to view only one location. Follow the link to see the full guide.
Another way to see what amenities look like in reality is to use a Pegman. Just drag it to the place you want to display. A 360-degree picture will appear on the screen. Since it’s a completely Google service, you’ll even be able to move inside street views. Use arrows for this purpose.
Now let’s test this feature. First, we’ll try the view we get after enabling it in settings. In our example, we’ll use a photo of Times Square in New York. To change the angle or look around just click on any area of the picture, hold it and move the mouse. The perspective will become different. If you want to exit and see a Google Map, click on the arrow near the location title.
After you do it there will appear a marker of this place on a map. If you click on it, you’ll see an infowindow with title and address.
Another way to get a street view is to drag a Pegman. If you want to see, for example, what Plaza Hotel in New York looks like, click on an orange man in the upper right corner, hold it and move to the place near the hotel. After you release a mouse button, the view will be loaded. Do the same actions to navigate it and use arrows to move in different directions.
Try to do it yourself using the example map below: